Carrying out your shopping in conventional plastic bags can pose detrimental effects to your environment, especially if they are poorly discarded. According to the Environmental Protection Agency, only 2% of all plastic bags that have been discarded are recycled adequately within the United States. This means that the remaining 98% end up in landfills, decomposing in the earth or floating in our oceans.
This ends up ruining the eco-system and endangering wildlife. Therefore, we discuss six reasons why you should use reusable grocery bags instead of conventional plastic alternatives on your next shopping trip.
1. Saves You Money in The Long Run
Majority of shopping outlets in the U.S charge customers for plastics bags. Each time you spend money on plastic bags, you are making large scale corporations more money at your expense. Furthermore, these bags are limited in size, making carrying all your groceries in one bag nearly impossible. As a result, you end up spending more money on four to five plastic bags.
On the other hand, reusable grocery bags are a one-time investment. You can carry it out with you each time you go grocery shopping to cut down on the costs of purchasing plastic bags. With a reusable grocery bag, you stand to save between $50 and $80 a year.
Reusable grocery bags can be used for a majority of purposes at your convenience. Furthermore, due to the fabric used in tailoring the bags, they handle carrying bulky items.
A plastic bag, on the other hand, can rip and spill all your contents if you’re not careful. Reusable grocery bags are more convenient and useful in carrying your everyday items like books, towels, lotions, or paraphernalia for your trip to the beach, library, or campsite.
3. Helps in Decreasing Plastic Pollution
Plastics have been known to plaque our ocean surfaces and wildlife for years on end. According to the United Nations, roughly 800 marine species are affected by plastic litter engulfing our oceans, including plastic bags. Furthermore, it is estimated that over 13 million tons of plastic garbage end up polluting our oceans each year.
Reusable grocery bags help alleviate the pollution on our oceans and eco-system. Furthermore, these bags are biodegradable and take as much as three to six months to decompose, thus cutting down on overall pollution throughout the earth.
4. Mitigates Global Carbon Footprint
Plastics contribute a majority of the pollution emitted in the atmosphere. Under combustion, plastics release toxic fumes such as dioxins, mercury, BCP’s and carbon monoxide, which prove detrimental to our ozone layer and health.
Reusable grocery bags make less of an impact on the world’s carbon footprint as they are composed of energy-efficient and reusable material. Unlike plastic bags, these reusable alternatives alleviate the use of petroleum-based polymers, which contribute to significant carbon emissions when produced in factories. Furthermore, the energy required to manufacture plastic bags can be costly and wasteful. For every mile one drives, 14 plastic bags are made with the equivalent amount of fuel used.
5. Can Be Kept and Reused for Longer
One thing about plastic bags that make them wrong for reuse is their feeble and weak texture. Even if you wanted to store and use their plastic bags on the next grocery trip, it is only a matter of time until it tears, thus rendering it useless. Reusable grocery bags are durable and can withstand heavy loads. This makes them last longer, allowing you to reuse them. Furthermore, they are less prone to developing tear, enabling you to carry your duties comfortably.
6. Prevents Harm to Wildlife
When plastic bags are scattered around, they can prove to be fatal to the surrounding wildlife. These bags pose to be choking hazards to animals like deer, goats, cows, and other herbivores that graze within the area. Unfortunately, once swallowed, plastic bags can suffocate these animals leading to an unnatural death. Furthermore, this can disrupt the natural flow of the eco-system leading to a reduction in the wildlife population, especially endangered animals. Reusable grocery bags are biodegradable, allowing them to decompose in the earth. This helps minimize pollution and litter, more so they pose no harm to animals when gnawed up.
A life without plastic bags can be a significant influence on the earth, resulting in decreased pollution and litter. By converting to reusable grocery bags, you help make the planet a better, pollutant-free.