Vinegar by itself is a great versatile cleaner. Infuse it with some herbs and harness their powers as well. This simple recipe will give your vinegar a boost and a sweet smell.
What you will need:
- 1 quart jar
- 1 quart of white vinegar
- 1 tbsp. dried lavender buds
- 1 tbsp. dried thyme
Add them to the jar and shake. Let it sit for a few days and infuse. Shake it whenever you remember. The color of the vinegar goes from clear to amber like this. Strain the herbs out really well before you put it into a spray bottle.
Why lavender and thyme?
Both are referred to as triple threats. They are antibacterial, anti-fungal and anti-viral. Not only do they have these great properties they also smell very nice. They almost cover up the vinegar smell and make it more pleasant to clean.
Ways to use this vinegar infusion:
- You can use this infusion in any recipe that calls for vinegar. My favorite is as an all purpose cleaner.
- Put some in a spray bottle undiluted and spray down the kitchen counters and cutting boards. No need to rinse.
- Another idea is to dilute it 50/50 with water in a spray bottle and use it to clean toys, tables and shelves. It is great for using on dusty places. It helps with static electricity and will prevent some of the dust from settling to surfaces.
- Use it to mop the floors. Dilute it 50/50 with water. Again, there is no need to rinse. If you want you can add a dab of castile soap.
- Other non-toxic cleaner ideas.
Do you make your own vinegar infusions?
What are your favorite vinegar recipes?